Knowing how to clean hardwood floors properly is very important. Gravel and dirt is the bane of hardwood floors. But how do you properly care for hardwood floors? Well, I'll tell you :)
1. Avoid using regular household cleaning and dusting products. These products will cause permanent damage. Use only products specifically made for hardwood.
2. Never use water to mop the floor. Water will definitely cause permanent damage. You can use a damp cloth to wipe up spills but never pour water directly on the floor to 'mop' the floor.
3. DO NOT USE AMMONIA
4. Never use wax on a floor with urethane or other glossy finish.
5. Don't drag furniture when moving it- use felt contacts under furniture legs to prevent scratches and gouges.
6. Vacuum. This is preferable to sweeping because it allows the dirt and dust to be pulled from between the cracks. Use a vacuum with a bare floor attachment, not a vacuum beater bar which can damage the wood.
7. Use sheers or blinds to protect the floor from direct sun rays.
8. Always remove shoes at the front door.
9. Keep nails and claws trimmed on pets.
10. Use cotton area rugs and mats in high traffic areas and sites of frequent spills. ( rubber and vinyl mats and rugs trap water underneath them)
11. Clean up spills immediately with a paper towel or dry cloth. A damp cloth may be used for sticky spills, but dry the spot immediately afterwards.
-Use a damp flat mop with a microfiber head to sweep up hair and dirt.
-Wring the mop head out enough for the head to be barely damp. You do not want a lot of water in the mop head.
-Spray a clean microfiber mop head with a floor cleaner specifically for wood floors
-Wash the floor, but don't let the mop head get too dirty. Rinse out the mop head or change it when it gets too dirty. Respray the mop head every time you rinse it out,